I found this recipe several years ago when I was following the Youtube channel “Shaytards”. Since then, it has been a favourite of mine. It is super easy to make, extremely filling and delicious!
My husband and I whipped up a batch today to bring over to a friend’s Superbowl party (I find that people always appreciate healthy alternatives to balance out the other yummy food).
You will need:
- 2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 jalopeno pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz can of whole kernel corn, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional – personally, I exclude it)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
Let’s make it:
- Cook the quinoa: boil 3 cups of a water, add quinoa, and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until water has boiled away
- Chop the veggies
- Make the sauce: mix thoroughly olive oil, lime juice, cumin and salt
- Throw it together: mix veggies in a large bowl, add quinoa, drizzle sauce, mix thoroughly
- Serve cool with tortilla chips (even better if you make it in advance and let the flavors set in for a few hours)
Please let me know if you try this recipe or have another yummy recipe I should try!